Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Nice to meet you, I'm Rob


As a child, my two favorite activities included participating in tennis and piano competitions. At that time, the fun came in "winning" and not in the process of developing these skills. With time, I became less interested in beating my opponents per se, and more interested in understanding the nature of my mind while practicing and competing. I continued these activities while at Amherst College and pursued a major in Neuroscience. Though my Neuroscience coursework touched on many important topics, it didn't discuss this entity known as the "mind" in great detail. I found that the Buddhism courses I took were more relevant in this regard; they represented a seemingly ancient form of Neuroscience. I learned that by consistently observing my thoughts, I can more readily identify maladaptive behaviors and change them. It was essentially giving life to the concept of neural plasticity.

I applied to medical school for many reasons, one of which was to understand the clinical basis of meditation, yoga, and breathing techniques such as the Sudarshan Kriya and how they relate to brain function and well being. I am currently in my third year of medical school at Boston University School of Medicine. I have completed two separate research internships at the Massachusetts General Hospital which relate to mind-body medicine. While in medical school, I have also completed the teaching requirements to become an Art of Living YES!+ teacher and have taught at MIT and Harvard University. This course involves volunteering 25 hours to teach students breathing techniques that help them to manage stress, increase focus, and get the most out of their daily activities.

After I graduate from medical school, it is my hope to obtain a residency in one of Boston's many excellent hospitals, many of which have already incorporated a greater emphasis on the mind-body approach to treating various medical conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment