Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The What, When and How

I landed in Atlanta on Christmas Day 2003. Truly speaking, 25-Dec is one of the gloomiest days in the year in the United States - dull weather, a few solitary cars on the road, zero sunshine. When you're coming from hot, humid and crowded Mumbai, the contrast is striking. I was newly married and had come to the US on a dependent visa. I left behind a job, my family, my independence. It wasn't a very happy bride who landed at Hartsfield Jackson Airport that day. The days following were equally troubled. I couldn't travel anywhere by myself since I didn't know how to drive and there isn't much by way of public transport in the Atlanta suburbs where we lived. I couldn't get a job since I was on a dependent visa that disallowed me from working. I hated the gloomy weather and the perpetual silence (remember, I came from noisy Mumbai). I missed my family and India terribly. I spent days moping around the house. My poor husband was confused and had no idea what to do. The laughing girl he'd married a few weeks ago had transformed into a sad woman who looked like she would dissolve into tears any given moment. As funny as it sounds now, it wasn't funny at all back then.

Come 2004, and it felt like things were looking up. I learned to cook and the Internet was my teacher. I started a blog and began to write regularly. And then I attended an Art of Living Course. The yoga postures and breathing techniques taught on the Art of Living Course are simple to practice but they have the most beneficial effect on the body and mind. As I began to practice the Sudarshan Kriya (special rhythmic breathing technique taught only on the Art of Living Course) and other breathing techniques, I literally felt as if someone had wiped clear the windshield of my mind. And I could see everything clearer. I felt calmer, more relaxed, happier. It was almost as if I had taken a deep breath in and inhaled a load of fresh air, and with a long exhalation, I let out all the homesickness, stress, dejection and despondency.

It has been more than 6 years since I did my first Art of Living Course. And I am still reaping the benefits. Can I just say that at the ripe old age of 31, I feel far younger than I did at 25? Maybe I exaggerate but I also think that I look younger! Comparing photographs from 2004 and now, it feels like the years just fell off my face. It is truly amazing to realize what a profound effect these breathing techniques have on the body and mind.

So my journey began 6 years back and I have been walking ever since. Sometimes skipping, sometimes dancing, dragging my heels sometimes... but never a dull moment there is when you're on the spiritual path. And miracles continue to unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment